28 October 2009

A Wife's Biblical Submission: What It Is and What It Is Not



Sunny begins with a beautiful overview of what true Biblical submission looks like. Our society has told us over and over that to be submissive we must be doormats and not have an opinion. The Bible clearly tells us the opposite! We are to be pillars of the faith and our marriages, supporting with enormous strength and fortitude, not something cast to the side.

We are also called to do this willingly (it is not submission otherwise) and cheerfully. (Deuteronomy 15:10) Not with grumbling and complaining, but with a heart turned toward God and seeking His favor. So many times I just get frustrated only to find that my heart is seeking praise from my husband, instead of seeking God and His will. True submission is trusting God by following those he has placed in authority over us. It doesn't mean that we never voice our thoughts or ideas, but that once those opinions have been voiced, we follow willingly and cheerfully whether we agree or not, trusting God to "work together for good". (Romans 8:28) Because when we willingly submit to our husbands, we are obeying God and working with Him instead of against Him. He will surely bless our labors and our marriages.

So, my challenge for today is to do the things God has called me to, and the things regarding my husband I need to do with a willing and cheerful spirit, keeping my eyes fixed on God.

What is God calling you to do with a willing and cheerful spirit?

No comments:

Post a Comment